Holy Island (Lindisfarne) is situated off the Northumberland coast in the north of the UK, just a few miles south of the border between England and Scotland. The island is linked to the mainland by a causeway which twice a day is covered by the tide. Possibly the holiest site of Anglo-Saxon England, Lindisfarne was founded by St. Aidan, an Irish monk, who came from Iona, the centre of Christianity in Scotland. St Aidan converted Northumbria to Christianity at the invitation of its king, Oswald. St. Aidan founded Lindisfarne Monastery on Holy Island in 635, becoming its first Abbot and Bishop. The Lindisfarne Gospels, a 7th century illuminated Latin manuscript written here, is now in the British Museum in London but should rightfully be returned to Northumbria. The island of Lindisfarne with its wealthy monastery was a favourite stop-over for Viking raiders from the end of the 8th century. These Vikings raiders obviously concerned the monks somewhat as they vacated the monastery and did not return for 400 years. Lindisfarne continued as an active religious site from the 12th century until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1537. It seems to have become disused by the early 18th Century.

23 Responses to “Lindisfarne, Northumberland”

Leave a Reply

Archived Posts